Worrowing Day 2

June 27th, 2017  |  Published in inspirations, practice  |  Leave a comment

Waking up seeing the colours of dawn from bed and painting. I had soaked a batch of rabbit skin glue and alum to size a bunch of new linen and canvas stretchers, one being the ringtail and magpie shroud created at hill End. I worked on Bherwerre 7 more too and thought of a work to paint for the Flourish theme Ravenswood Art Prize, although I only have two days left to create it, which may be impossible. Darren and I walked down to the dams and swamp on the property and found some clay colours suitable for the ochre expedition on Sunday. I was hoping to also find wattle glue but there were mainly casuarinas, eucalypts and paperbarks.
WorrowingDay2

Worrowing Day 1

June 27th, 2017  |  Published in inspirations, practice  |  Leave a comment

I moved into Worrowing today. A sun-filled studio apartment on a private estate run by Jenny, Adrian and one of their sons Tom who is also an artist. I focused on painting the 7th Mural. At 5pm I met Jennifer from Bundanon to hand over my artwork donation the diptych ‘Winter Stingray with Jennifer’s Skate (1) & (2)’

Naturally Yours

June 9th, 2017  |  Published in exhibitions  |  Leave a comment

I have been invited to exhibit in this group exhibition at the ANU School of Art and Design Gallery June 16th – July 15th. I decided to submit the Marine Relics shroud installation.
MarineRelics17

NOW Contemporary Art Prize

May 22nd, 2017  |  Published in exhibitions  |  Leave a comment

SummerWoodducksHillEndWinter300
See this work in this exhibition
Summer Woodducks 2015 Hill End Winter 2016 is a work I completed during a Hill End residency in 2016. Using techniques I developed during my PhD at the ANU 2009-2013, Woodducks continues my deconstruction of animal representation through site-based processes and integration of self with deceased animal ‘shrouds’. In Woollamia, I placed two deceased woodducks (gifted to me) on canvas affixed to a sprung bed base and covered in mesh. I left the ducks to decompose for 4 months, photographed their decomposed bodies for later reference, collected the canvas and placed it in my matrilineal copper ‘cauldron’ in which I had steeped eucalyptus leaves. The canvas had collected evidence of the swamp site via mould on the surface and the prints of fallen leaves, while the mesh protecting the bodies from predators also left its rusty imprint. The combination of moist dank environment and exposure exceeding one month, resulted in the canvas beginning to also rot in contact with the bodies. After stretching the canvas, the woodduck shroud lived with me until my residency at Bundanon 2015, when I felt ready to begin integration with the spirit of animal and place captured in the work. I began by mending the holes in the surface using thread collected from the frayed edges of the stained canvas. I patched the larger holes using clean canvas to invoke renewal before sealing the surface with rabbit skin glue. I was drawn to the work again during my Hill End Residency in 2016. The cold winter in a 19th century home by the studio potbelly compelled a catharsis that found a path out through laboured painting of the woodduck shroud. Spring blossomed in red as emotions released and manifest.

Bhewerre Wetland mural Project

May 11th, 2017  |  Published in practice  |  Leave a comment

The fourth and fifth mural of a 12 mural project framed and unframed

Bhewerre4

Bhewerre5

Night Vision

September 24th, 2016  |  Published in exhibitions, practice  |  Leave a comment

Images from the performance work at Bundanon Siteworks tonight!

Night Vision

Mummified Wombat

September 23rd, 2016  |  Published in field research, inspirations  |  Leave a comment

I have been staying in the musicians cottage at Bundanon with team Night Vision preparing for Alicia’s siteworks event during the last week and Suz showed me this wonderful wombat near the cottage.

Community murals

September 23rd, 2016  |  Published in practice  |  Leave a comment

When I returned from Hill End I photographed the community murals I have been working on over the past year. So many left to do for the Sanctuary Point wetland project (which is comforting). The first one is for SP Public School where I went as a child. It is a compilation of drawings made by current students.

Portrait of Haefligers

September 10th, 2016  |  Published in field research, inspirations, practice  |  Leave a comment

I created another painting over a $2 shop photo canvas. It is a portrait of the 19th century Haefliger residence. I have never created a portrait of a house before. Hill End has made an impact.

Hill End ringtail and currarong shroud

September 8th, 2016  |  Published in field research, inspirations, practice  |  Leave a comment

Today I could see (and I had heard) another rain event was headed our way so I decided to deinstall the Hill End Shroud. The prints worked very well especially the ringtail. I strung up a line in the woodshed so it could hopefully dry out a bit before it is packed on Saturday for the early morning Sunday trip home. Yesterday I had been invited to brekky at Dan and Vik’s house (short for viking and he was building a model boat when I arrived!). Like all places in Hill End on lease it is a restored 19th century ruin and absolutely beautiful miniature spaces in multiple buildings with earthen walls and wooden panel ceilings that set off the colourful personal collections of art and antiques brilliantly. Today I had (great) coffee at Genevieve and Bill’s place (home of Hill End Press) which was equally breathtaking and had the additional embellishments born from their eclectic art practices and those collected from artist friends. It was a wonderful first visit (and back for dinner on Saturday!) hopefully the first of many. I then delivered my work to Dave, he was very happy and gave me a free coffee.

HillEndShroud